Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Have Gas Prices had an Effect on Gear Heads of the World

It seems like nothing is cheap these days, from power steering rack and steering gear box units to packs of gum. Everything costs so much, I don’t want to sound like an old timer but I do remember a time when a dollar bought a gallon of gas. Back in the day we used to cruise in my 83 Buick with the windows down and the “system” up, I put that in quotes cause the stereo in it was a joke. We felt great just having a car but then testosterone started flowing and the need for speed had begun. It is not just me a whole generation of kids got their first Honda and thought hmmmm, I wonder if it can go faster. So I did like everyone else my age, swapped the engine to the B18C5R (Type R motor) and then eventually turbocharged the car.
In the pursuit of speed my friends and I built 240s with V8’s and skyline motors. We built Mr2’s that could blow the doors off Ferraris like they were KIAs but in the end we have all settled into more economical cars as we aged. When I look back I kinda feel bad for the motor head growing up now, $5 for a gallon of gas has to make it a bit rough. I mean when I was doing this 10 years ago we could run to the pump get $10 bucks and race all night (legally…of course).
So is there a whole generation who is going to lose out on the quest for speed, the short answer is no. We all thirst for the thrill, be it from speed or other sources and we will always find it. The new generation of gear heads will have to learn the new technologies like electric motor s and hybrid powertrains. So the car nut of the future will have to be a little more tech savy but let’s be honest, they already are smart phones, tablets, IPhones they know it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment