Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Traveling Turkeys

What am I thankful for this year? I am thankful for the DVD player in my car to keep the kids quit during a road trip. I am also thankful for the navigation unit to get me to my in-laws’ house, and then to the closest sports bar.

What am I not thankful for? I am not thankful for having to travel this holiday season.

One of my least favorite moments of the holidays is traveling with all the other turkeys out there. What makes me even unhappier is discovering that an estimated 42.5 million people will be traveling this Thanksgiving.  According to AAA, 90% of these travels will be driving to their destinations.  I’m not the greatest at math, but 90% of 42.5 million drivers clogging up my interstate does NOT sound like a good time.

However, it could be worse.  I could have been one of those unlucky go-getters on the Pennsylvania Turnpike last night.  Driving through a 40 mile stretch of driveway sealant taught them a lesson.  A tanker with a leaking valve spread black goo all over the highway.  It covered the car’s tires and undercarriages.  These travelers will think twice before leaving a day early for Thanksgiving next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment