Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Ugly Electric Cars

When it comes to environmentally friendly and my car, the only thing I do is make sure I pass emissions.  That means having 02 sensors and catalytic converters that work. I would love to do my part and buy an electric car but, come on… have you seen those things?


Electric cars have always looked like they drove down the ugly driveway, and ran over every crack on the way down. Car designers usually state that the looks are due to making the cars as aerodynamic as possible. This might be true, but I am sure they think about aerodynamics with every car and they don’t end up looking like these awful things.  Let’s take an ugly trip through the history of electric cars.

PAST: It started with the EV1 back in 1996.  GM was brave enough to be the first large automaker to design an electric car, but that does not mean they should have.  The most hideous aspect of the EV1 is the back end.  The covered rear wheels and the shape of the trunk make it look a Sudafed.  I don’t know whether I am supposed to drive it, or take two in the morning.

PRESENT: The most popular electric car is the Toyota Prius, but it did not avoid the ugly electric car genes. Some of you are probably saying to yourselves, “The Prius is not that bad!” Quit it, you are fooling yourself.  Take another look at it. A Prius looks like a Civic’s ugly little brother. Somehow the Prius has gotten past this.  It has reached the level of being so ugly it is cute, like a Pug.  (Note: The Honda Fit is also ugly because it looks just like a Prius)

FUTURE: GM wants back in the hideous electric car race.  They have been displaying the Chevrolet EN-V around the globe at auto shows.  EN-V stands for, Electric Networked-Vehicle.  I actually don’t know if I can call this thing an ugly car, because it looks more like a helmet than a vehicle.  Every time I see it I think of Master Chief from the video game Halo.  I wonder if you drive the thing with an X-Box controller instead of a steering wheel.

No comments:

Post a Comment